The Best Low Carb Protein Powder
A protein-rich, low carb diet is essential for promoting weight loss while gaining lean muscle. Many fitness enthusiasts, athletes and bodybuilders take protein powder to increase their protein intake, but not all supplements are created equal. Some powders are filled with unnecessary fillers and sweeteners, which is detrimental for anyone on a low carb diet.
To maintain your diet and achieve your fitness goals, choosing the best low carb protein powder for you is vital.
What is a High Protein, Low Carb Diet?
To put simply, it's a diet that replaces the bulk of your daily carb intake with protein. Why protein? Because it is the most filling macronutrient, aiding in suppressing hunger and food intake— which encourage weight loss. This is further enhanced by higher production of ketones in the body, stimulated by carb restriction. Ketones are known to help lower hunger levels.
Additionally, when one loses weight, it's expected to lose muscle mass as well— except that isn't the case with this diet. Thanks to protein, you can preserve or even gain muscle mass while you cut fat, especially when combined with exercise.
Best Low Carb Protein Powder Options
To make your high protein low carb diet work to the fullest, you naturally have to consume more protein. Here are our five best low carb protein powders.
- Whey Protein Isolate. This is the top choice for a low carb protein supplement. Among the different types of whey protein, isolate is the purest form with 90 to 95% protein and contains little to zero carbohydrates per scoop.
- Collagen Protein. Not only is collagen protein carb and sugar-free, it also has a range of benefits such as relieving joint pain and maintaining good skin and digestive health. It has a more holistic approach when it comes to providing you with nutrients compared to other supplements.
- Casein Protein. While it is a concentrated source of protein like whey, casein digests slower. It contains a good amount of calcium and few carbs. Best taken before going to bed, and can be consumed with whey protein.
- Egg Protein. Besides protein, egg protein powder is also packed with essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It is a staple in many low carb diets.
- Any Plant-based Protein. There are a lot of plant-based protein powders that are low carb and high in protein, particularly soy, pea, and rice protein isolates.
Choosing the Best Protein Powder for YOU
Even with the top five low carb protein powder choices listed, the best kind of protein supplement is the one that suits your needs best— a powder that works within your macronutrient range and fits with your dietary sensitivities. Do your research, read product labels carefully, and consult your healthcare provider to find the supplement that works best for you.
If you're looking for options for supplements, check out our range of protein powders. Formulated by our team of health and fitness experts, considered one of Australia's top sports nutrition professionals, we guarantee high-quality supplemental products that you can trust.